Yorkshire Great House is a beautiful traditional Barbadian Great House that dates back we believe to around the Middle of the 18th century. Sitting in an elevated position on the southern side of the St. George Valley the home has been lovingly maintained by its current owner with much of its original period charm and historic elegance carefully preserved. Antique furnishings and original paintings adorn the Great House and enhance the authentic setting that graces this historical private residence.
Located just a few minutes north of the ABC Highway the property offers easy access to the south coast and yet sits in a peaceful, green countryside setting that enjoys a cool breeze from the north east trade winds that gently blow across the island. Records that are still in the owners possession show that considerable restoration work and improvements were done to the property in 1910.
Spacious reception rooms with wooden floors, high ceilings, wooden architraves, picture rails, original hurricane shutters and a beautiful, grand, mahogany staircase all combine to give an insight to the splendor and charm that this historical colonial period enjoyed.
The grounds are well kept with mature trees spreading their massive branches over the lawns that surround the house. A lawn tennis court which sits to the south east of the large rear patio and which no doubt offered countless hours of fun and frolic to previous generations could easily be brought back into use should the desire arise.
The accommodation comprises:
The grounds are laid mainly to lawn and are fully enclosed. Mature trees offer privacy and shade and there is adequate paved and garden parking for large functions on the property.